Water features continue to be one of the most popular design trends for swimming pools. Whether you are looking to add a dramatic centerpiece, architectural accents or the excitement of moving water, the right water feature will influence the ambiance of your entire backyard. For many, including a water feature can be the final piece to the puzzle in designing the ultimate backyard paradise.
Your choices are only limited by your imagination and personal tastes, so research what’s available, find inspiration by looking at online photo galleries and speak with local pool and landscape design professionals.
Popular Water Features Include:
- Waterfalls – Falling water adds beauty and tranquility to any poolscape. Waterfall designs are nearly unlimited. A water feature like the Pentair MagicFalls® can produce waterfalls right from your pool walls with rain, sheet or curtain effects. Waterfalls can also be produced by having a multi-level pool or they can be built right into the landscape and include additional components like rocks to perfectly match your poolscape design.
- Fountains – No longer just for large luxurious pools, fountains can be a beautiful backdrop for your poolscape or a fun feature to splash and play in.
- Laminars – These graceful arcs of water are so smooth, they look glass-like. The water enters the pool with a gentle splash. A light source can be added to create a breathtaking evening light show.
- Deck Jets – These elegant streams of arching water can transform any pool into a soothing fountain. Deck jets work well in combinations to create unique designs of arching water and are usually fully adjustable.
- Cascades – A gentle wall of water splashes into your pool for a soothing effect that also adds class and style. Cascades are available in a number of sizes and can be used side-by-side to cover longer distances.
- Scuppers and Wall Accents – Usually appearing in surrounding walls, scuppers are another feature that provides a splash of water into your pool. Available in nearly any shape…including shells, lion heads, rosettes, sconces and fleur-de-lis, they can be used to compliment other water features or stand alone.
- Water Bowls – Available in many sizes, water bowls can accentuate your landscape and pool with a soothing water spillway.
- Vanishing Edges – A visual effect of water extending off into the distance is a truly luxurious feature. Your pool edge will appear to simply vanish against the horizon.